New Opportunity to Work with HGG: Dashboard Fellow
This is a unique part-time fellowship to develop the online open-data Aloha+ Challenge Dashboard with statewide partners and innovative technology initiatives to track progress on Hawai'i's 2030 sustainability goals. Applications are due .
The Aloha+ Challenge is a joint sustainability commitment led by Hawai'i's Governor, four County Mayors, Office of Hawaiian Affairs, State Legislature and public-private partners across the state. This statewide framework outlines six ambitious 2030 sustainability goals in the areas of clean energy, local food, natural resource management, solid waste, smart sustainable communities, and green education and workforce. The Aloha+ Challenge builds on Hawai'i's history of systems-thinking, indigenous knowledge, culture and values, and provides a framework to set priorities, catalyze action and track progress. Hawai'i's approach has been recognized nationally and internationally as model that can be scaled to support the implementation of the United Nations 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Climate Agreement.
Hawai'i Green Growth (HGG) is a public-private partnership that catalyzes action across government, private sector and civil society to achieve Hawai'i's Aloha+ Challenge 2030 sustainability goals and serve as a model for integrated green growth. HGG is committed to building a more sustainable, resilient for Hawai'i and island earth. As a network-based organization of over 100 member partners, HGG serves as the backbone organization for the Aloha+ Challenge, convening diverse stakeholders to:
• Integrate cross-sector sustainability priorities into long-term policy and planning;
• Identify and catalyze public-private actions to advance Hawai'i's 2030 sustainability goals;
• Support, uplift and amplify partner priorities through a shared statewide framework;
• Build capacity for community action and next generation leadership; and
• Provide a platform for knowledge exchange, partnership building, and collaboration through an atmosphere of mutual respect and trust.
The Sustainability Dashboard Fellow provides support for one of HGG's key portfolios - the Aloha+ Challenge Dashboard. The Aloha+ Challenge Dashboard is an online open data platform to track progress, provide accountability and ensure transparency on Hawai'i's 2030 sustainability goals. The Dashboard is designed for decision makers, practitioners, and the public to inform policy, data driven decision making, and inspire action. HGG coordinates this process, working with statewide public-private partners to build and maintain the Dashboard through 2030.
The Dashboard is currently under development, featuring targets, indicators, data trends, narratives and resources for four of the six 2030 goals: clean energy, solid waste reduction, natural resource management and local food goals. HGG will continue work with statewide partners to populate the Dashboard with the remaining two goals in 2017, and begin the next phase of innovation, outreach and updates through engaging students.
This position supports HGG's Sustainability Dashboard Coordinator in the process of completing initial development of the online platform with all six sustainability goals, and managing the long-term maintenance, utility and innovation of the Dashboard. This requires collaborating with diverse public and private partners to help establish the most meaningful metrics to effectively communicate, inform policy and inspire action. Additional responsibilities include Dashboard technology and innovation initiatives, grant writing and management, event planning, communicating with statewide partners, and compiling and analyzing data. This position is a member of the small HGG professional staff team, supporting the broader mission and strategy of the public-private partnership.
The Fellowship is structured to provide significant work experience in the areas of sustainable development, policy, communications and data through hands-on experiential learning. This position will have the opportunity to take on meaningful responsibility quickly, and engage with a diverse network of local, national and international partners. In addition, HGG is committed to the mentorship and professional development of each team member.
Hours: 19 hours per week; schedule can be set on an individual basis
Commitment: Seeking one-year commitment starting in August 2017
Compensation: $15-18 per hour
Education Requirements: Seeking motivated Graduate Student or young professional
Position Location: Honolulu, Hawai'i; virtual organization with office space available
1. Dashboard Development: In 2017, this position will support coordination with diverse partners to identify agreed statewide indicators for the Green Workforce & Education 2030 goal. This includes the following responsibilities:
• Assist with indicator inventories
• Organize technical expert meetings, including scheduling, outreach, preparation of agenda and materials, recording, and preparing summary reports
• Prepare online survey, reminders and support analysis
• Support coordination on dashboard content, including narratives, partner input and data
• Compile, coordinate and source relevant data with statewide partners
• Upload content to online platform
• Coordinate relevant partner and group meetings
• Support process of annual Dashboard data and content updates
2. Meeting & Event Support: This position will support organizing 1-2 Statewide Meetings, several multi-stakeholder meetings, and other large events that require support with logistics and planning.
• Prepare invitations, track RSVPs, oversee correspondence and follow-up
• Support planning and logistics, including venue, catering, travel logistics and materials
• Record and prepare meeting summaries
• Event set-up and support
• Support substantive development of agenda, presentations and materials
3. Technology, Innovation, and Partnerships: This position will support development of new innovative technologies for the Dashboard to increase community data, visualizations, and usability.
• Take initiative on development of "Dashboard 2.0"
• Support design of Dashboard Lab program with students and partners
• Relevant Dashboard research, technology initiatives, and projects
4. Project Administration:
• Maintain partnership contact lists, files and key documents
• Support grant writing, project reports and compilation of results
• Prepare team and partner reimbursement reports
• Scheduling and other administration, as needed
• Support with HGG communications and social media, as needed and time permits
5. Other duties as assigned
Please submit your resume and cover letter by :
Online Applications only